Friday, May 11, 2007

Plunging In

During our first discussion time yesterday, we were each given a picture to use as a metaphor for learning to read. My group had the picture with the three boys jumping off a dock into the water. Two were wearing inner tubes around their waists; one was not. The photo was dynamic and full of emotion and action. Between the three of us, my group easily put together a metaphor of “plunging in” and taking risks in order to learn. In case you forget the details of what we said, we talked about providing the necessary support, doing the activity with others, persevering and trying again, among other things.
I certainly saw evidence of these aspects of learning to read in my practicum, as I’m sure many of you also did. For example, one of my grade four students could read, but his processing time was considerably slower than the rest of the class. In my teaching, I felt as though I offered him an inner tube to support him in doing the same work everyone else did. He was also able to work with the learning support teacher to complete some assignments. During the three months that I was there, I saw a remarkable improvement in his confidence. He is coming to trust the inner tube—he knows that his teachers will make sure that he is prepared to “jump.” And in knowing this, he is willing to take the risk, he is willing to climb over the railing and plunge into the water. Not only that, but he’s willing to try it again and again.

No comments: